Figurative language is speech or writing that departs from normal meaning or sound to

create a special effect. These "literary devices" as they are called are: alliteration, hyperbole, idioms,

metaphors, personification, onomatopoeia and similes. Last month, we tackled the first device

"alliteration." Here we're going to discuss the fun device "hyperbole."


The meaning of hyperbole is a gross exaggeration, in order to emphasize a point. And we use it in

both everyday speech and when writing.

Here are some examples:

1) My dad can lift two tons (i.e. he is a very strong person). You should have the idea from here.

2) That food was so hot my ears were smoking.

3) That boy runs faster than a car.

4) I'm so tired I could sleep a year.

5) I'm 20 feet tall this month.

6) I must have walked a thousand miles.

7) He cried so long that he made a lake.

8) I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

9) You have a million toys at your house.



Stay connected for the next device: "idioms." 


And for more information: www.englishteachinghoboken.com







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Grammar....!

Want to Improve Your Speaking?

Effective use of Body Language